Monday, March 13

Easy!




"This is going to be easy!" I said practicing my sister's dance routine, "I don't know what she was so nervous about."

I love my family and this proves without a doubt that I would do anything for them. My sister was a nervous wreck. She had been auditioning for a local dance team. As she was starting to build up a popularity among the girls in this dance team, she moved up the ranks quickly and soon was cast as the lead in her very first recital.

She had always had bad stage fright. I thought this would be good for her to get over it. But, as the recital date grew ever closer, she became consumed with fear and anxiety. She stopped eating and was forgetting things like putting on matching socks, closing the fridge door and leaving the oven on. I decided I needed to intervene or face the whole house blowing up.

Our father was an independently wealthy engineer who was living happily off of the licensing fees from his patents. He still had the urge to invent but rarely did much work anymore.

One day, I was tasked with cleaning his lab area by my mother. It was great because the lab was insulated and out of the way in the the scary part of the basement. So, I was able to work slowly and nobody would bother me or make me do any other chores that afternoon. While cleaning up around his computer, I moved the mouse and his screen came on. I read the report he was working on and was amazed by what I had seen. He had schematics for a mind transfer machine!

I took some photos of his screen with my phone camera and made it my pet project to actually build this thing and see if it worked. Imagine what I could do! I could take control of my teachers and give myself straight A's!

I spent months gathering the parts from purchasing them online to scavenging them from old broken electronics around the neighborhood. I finally finished and now had a reason to tell somebody about it. Keeping such a huge secret was killing me.

I approached my sister in her room, "Hey, sis! Mind if I talk to you about something?"

"Oh, no! Did I forget something else?" She put her head in her hands, "I think I might be losing my hair!"

"No, no! Nothing like that. It's just that I've seen you've been stressed out and I wanted to help you." I sat down on the bed next to her and gave her a soft hug.

"I don't see how you can unless you can do that recital for me. I just wanted to be a background dancer and work on my stage fright slowly." She said her face still muffled by her hands.

"I think I can." I said to her. She threw my arm off of her and looked at me like I had gone crazy.

"I don't think you'll fit in the costume. Not to mention, since we hit puberty, we look really different. Oh and there's the whole crossdressing thing that'll be really weird-" She had clearly been triggered.

I held up my hand to stop the torrent of ideas rushing from her, "No! Not like that. Just- Just come with me." I grabbed her hand and led her to my room. I opened my closet and showed her my creation, "It's a mind transferer!" I flourished toward the pile of electrical components and scrap aluminum.

"I thought you were just acting crazy. Do mom and dad know you've actually gone crazy?" She said and started backing out of the room.

"Wait!" I said a little more forcefully than I wanted to, "This is real. I stole one of dad's unfinished schematics and built it myself in secret."

"This is dad's idea? Why would he even need one of these?" She said, relaxing a bit and walking over to the machine.

"Probably for situations like this." I quipped happy with my comeback.

"You'll really do the recital for me?" She looked back at me with hope in her eyes.

"Yeah. I'd do anything for you. You're my favorite sister." I said, starting to have second thoughts about this plan. I didn't expect her to actually want to try it out.

Before I said another word, she was strapping the helmet onto herself and motioning for me to take mine.

"I should state something first." I said as she was messing around with the control panel.

"Hmm?" She said concentrating and not listening, "This is surprisingly user friendly. Good job, bro!"

"It hasn't been tested yet." I said a bit louder this time. But, it was too late. She activated it and we swapped.

While I was happy that my machine worked. I was suddenly regretting this choice. My sister in my body rushed me out of my room, "You're a life saver, bro- I mean sis. Thank you so much. You've got practice in a couple of hours, you should probably get ready. Don't be afraid to mess up a little maybe they'll demote me." She shut the door in my face and I had no choice but to go to dance practice.

When I got there. I realized her body has an innate agility and balance. I don't think their going to be demoting her anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment