Thursday, March 16

Assistance




I was told by this new temp agency that working for this company would be very hard work and that I would need to be assertive and not take no for an answer. I was a young guy, fresh out of college and I thought I would be able to do those things no problem.

Turns out my boss thought I was the new executive assistant and not a technician. I tried to correct him but he kept telling me to speak up and put some bass in my voice. I got flustered and he led me to his office.

"So, Estelle, the HR lady you interviewed with told you that assistants are required to adhere to strict dress code. Right." He said while sitting down at his desk.

"Yes, she did tell me about the dress code but, I'm not an assis-"

"Good! Good! Do you have a hair color preference?" He said cutting me off again.

"A what? Sir, please listen to m-"

But, this time I was cut off by a laser beam shot from a pyramid shaped device on his desk. It made quick work of me, rearranging my molecules into that a leggy blonde.

"I'll never understand you weirdos who want to go through with this. Anyway, I'll take my afternoon from Starbuck's ASAP. Ask Sally what I normally order on the way out." He ushered me out of his office quickly.

I was still in shock and uncomfortable in my new outfit. I tried to ask around the office for help but all I got were coffee orders. That is until I found Sally at the front desk.

"Oh, are you the new assistant?" She beamed happily.

"Yea- No! I'm the new engineer! I got in to work this and the boss wouldn't let me clarify my position and he did this to me!" I shouted. Happy that somebody was finally listening to me.

"Oh, new engineer? That explains a lot." She said going into a hushed tone.

"What?" I questioned feeling a bit paranoid because Sally had gone into full blown paranoia mode; looking around and crouching down closer to me.

"There's a rival company that wants to steal our prototype. They pose as a temp agency and send a bunch of guys in here to 'work' as engineers and then call them and ask them how their day at the company went in hopes of gleaming new information."

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!" I shout back.

"Well, the person who runs the temp agency is in a situation similar to you. He did legitimately work here but got pranked by the boss and is now trying to build one of the prototypes in order to change back. The funny thing is, the boss would've changed him back if he hadn't stormed off like that."

"Wait! So, he'll change me back." I asked hopefully.

"Yeah. He changes every one back. Unless you find that you like your new form better. Some of us do." She said winking at me.

I took the boss' coffee order from Sally and went to get it. I walked slowly not so much because of the heels but because I was starting to like this body.

When I got back, the boss took his coffee and apologized for the prank. He sat back down at his desk and I told him that I'd rather stay this way. He agreed to hire me and have me work at the front desk with the "other one".

No comments:

Post a Comment